Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Roots

My summer break this year has been the best I've ever had... For obvious reasons. I, for one, can't put into words how awesome it has been to spend every day with Nolan. He changes so much just in one week or even one day, and to be his primary care giver, and there for every minute, has been an experience I am so grateful to have.

This brings with it some guilt and anxiety though, about having to leave him again come mid-August. I then quickly remind myself that I do get to leave him with Hilary, and I couldn't be luckier, and I also am quickly reminded of how much I do love to teach. And I try to think about the purpose of me doing what I do for a reason each year. God has a plan- it's nice to reflect on each school year and point out those specific moments and struggles that some of my students face. I am so glad to have been there at times in the past for some of my former students. I also take with me so much that I learn from the kids each year as well.

This year is also a special summer for me as it is much LONGER! After having the opportunity to take a position teaching at the new elementary school here in Chatham, I am leaving the balanced calendar schedule in Riverton. I know there are going to be pros and cons to this, however, I am soaking up this extended summer to it's fullest. In the past, I would have been to a couple trainings here and there, some meetings, a mini-vacation, and then it would be time to head back to work at the end of July. This year though, I don't have students until August 17th. I can't even even get keys to my new classroom until the end of July! Funny how things work out. All this change has forced me to finally RELAX. Something I haven't done in a long time. I'm spending my days right now playing with Nolan, cleaning house, cooking meals, and spending time with friends and family. This leads me to the realization as to why am I happier then I've ever been?

I've realized it's all about me finally having the chance to "plant some roots." This move to Chatham, along with my career move has been such an emotional transition. Emotion from leaving the first house I had with Shane... Leaving my co-workers at Riverton who were my second family. I now realize though, that It's such a great feeling knowing I am going to raise Nolan here. Knowing that I'm teaching in the same building that Nolan will go to school in, and being able to call this place my home. I'm planting my roots, and boy does it feel good! I'm very nervous about where this year will take me, but also excited as I know it's another step in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment