Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mrs. Carter

How do people make it through life without a sister? I often times find myself wondering... As a wife, a new mom, and a female in general, I don't know what I would do without my sisters.  Each one plays such a special role in my life, and each one, no matter the age, has been a friend, role model, counselor, critic, etc. at times when I've needed it most.
Today, I am especially proud of my biggest sister, Elizabeth. Also known as Mrs. Carter. Liz and I have a special relationship that I am truly appreciative of. When she and I get together, it's not just sister talk ... it's also teacher talk. Those of you have ever seen a group of teachers get together to hang out, have dinner, or go out for a few drinks know exactly what I'm talking about. While there is talk about family, husbands, our favorite t.v shows, and other gossip- the conversation typically goes back to what teachers are truly passionate about. Teaching :)
I've had the privlege of getting to follow in Elizabeth's footsteps every step of the way. I admired her, and followed closely what she and Kristy thought was cool when we were in school. She went to Illinois College. I went to Illinois Colege. She became a teacher. I became a teacher. Watching Liz learn and grow as a person defintely played a big role in me becoming who I am today.
Elizabeth has recently accomplished a major goal in life that makes me admire her even more. This week she will be presenting her thesis to a board of educators as she wraps up her final semester of her Master's in Education. I don't know how I myself will even be able to tackle this next step in our profession, but watching my big sister take it in stride and grow as an educator makes me so proud.
She is a mother of three, a wife, a teacher, a sunday school teacher, a friend, a sorority sister, an aunt, and she somehow has found a way to juggle it all flawlessly.
She is a natural in the teaching field. One of those who amazes you at how easy she makes it all look. I'm very proud to have her as a mentor, a colleague, and most importantly, a big sister.
I couldn't be more impressed by you Liz Carter! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This is so wonderful Maggie! Seriously brought a tear to my eye. You are amazing too!

    ReplyDelete