Sunday, December 4, 2016

Another One Bites the Dust - Why I Left Teaching

Another One Bites the Dust

                At an early age, we are often asked “What do you want to be when you grow up?” The answers vary and change over time. Age five, “I want to be a fire fighter.” Age 10, “I want to design cars and be an engineer.” Age 18, “I don’t really know what I want to be.”

                I was no different than most children. My career ambitions transformed from wanting to be a WNBA player, to a news anchor, to a teacher. I would have never dreamed I'd become a teacher, but as I grew, I became more self-aware and knew that I loved working with little children. I innately wanted to help others, and as I entered college and began taking education courses, my passion and excitement only grew.  I graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor of Arts in Education from Illinois College, and was ready to take on the world and make a difference in children’s lives. I was passionate, I was committed, I was innovative, I was excited. I was one of the lucky few who found a profession that I was genuinely and wholeheartedly happy with. I felt that I was where I was supposed to be, carrying out God’s plan for my life.

What went wrong? Why, at age 32, am I suddenly bitter, exhausted, unmotivated, and waving the white flag? I’ve been asked this question a lot. In fact, I was asking myself this question a lot in the final days leading up to my decision to make a career change.


 The answer is complex, and I am not quite certain I’ve even come to a conclusion myself, but I know that I needed a change and could not keep up with the life style I was leading as a teacher, mother, wife and friend. Note that teacher came first in that line-up. It just does. You see, when you enter into the field of education, you’re not just signing up for a job. You are signing up to be a teacher who takes on the lives of 26 individuals each year. Your job is to not just help them learn the required objectives and content, but to teach them how to be a good person, a citizen that will contribute to society and succeed in life. And they aren’t a one size fits all deal. Each class is full of a vast array of personality types, learning styles, needs and interests. And you love each and every one of them just as your own. The guilt I felt as a working mother was intense. The fact that my job was taking care of other children only intensified this guilt. I wanted to put my own family first, but it was a balancing act that I never figured out.

In accordance with guilt, education reform is a constant which brings forth new policies being put into place that increase the demands and expectations of teachers, with little funding available for schools to educate staff and implement the policies successfully.  The implementation of common core for instance, isn’t necessarily a negative change that has recently occurred in education, but it is a change. A change that has completely transformed how we teach most content and that has upped the ante for expectations of students. Teachers are trying to change curriculum, assessments and lessons, and their jobs and overall evaluations are dependent upon their students’ performance.  In my ten years of teaching, I survived the implementation of common core while watching my class sizes increase from 20 students to 26 students.

I guess it’s not that I didn’t love teaching anymore; it’s that I just couldn’t keep up. I couldn’t keep doing what I was doing, meeting every student’s needs, and find the time to assess, document, communicate with parents, and complete the rigorous teacher evaluation cycles.

Teacher “burn out” is a real thing. Teacher wages are nothing to write home about, yet the expectations of a teacher are unattainable. As wonderful as it would be to be to successfully teach a classroom of 26 students and meet all of their needs, IEP’s, 504’s, and individual modifications included, it just isn’t realistic. Yet this is what we expect of teachers. I believe in inclusion, I believe in teaching concepts in multiple ways in order to help students learn at a deeper level, and I believe in assessing and using assessments to drive instruction and communication to families. But teachers are just one person. Education reform needs to take all of this into account. While we want to do what is best for students, if we don’t start thinking about what is also best for teachers, we won’t have individuals in society who can fill this role.




No comments:

Post a Comment